It is crucial to identify the most important factors that allow us to remain safe online. Among these factors, downloading hazards have to be removed entirely. It is true that malware can hide beneath innocent looking downloads of software and other files.
So, it is our responsibility to find the proper tools that will help us eliminate such threats. Below, we have gathered five tips that will be of great assistance to you in the long run. They will enable you to minimize, if not eliminate, the threats related to malware downloads. So, let’s check them out!
- Do Your Research: When it comes to downloads, you need to be thorough and do your research prior to clicking on the launching button. There are sources that have not been proven safe over time and these are the sources that you ought to stay away from. On the contrary, reputable websites with software that has been tested and found qualitative pose no threat whatsoever. Some sources you can check out include FileHippo, Major Geeks and SoftPedia.
- Check the Publisher: Similarly to the websites that you need to check out, there are publishers that have been tried out by others and found really cool. Others have been found lacking in quality and safety standards. It is your job to check before you actually click on a downloading attempt. In general, you can look at the ratings and the comments of people who have already downloaded specific software.
- Double Check for Malware: You should make sure to scan for viruses and other online threats, just before you move forward with the installation of your software. Even if your regular anti-virus software has completed a thorough scan, be prudent and select a second line of defense that adds to your overall safety. If you are looking for a great addition to your anti-virus program, you can choose Malwarebytes.
- Check Potentially Unwanted Programs: After the download and installation have been completed, it is time for you to check whether or not there is a newly installed program that you have not requested. In this way, you can make sure that there is nothing possibly tracking your activities online or causing even greater harm. Even if the anti-virus has missed it, your eyes will not!
- Wrong Positives and Their Importance: When you stop thinking that one scan is enough and that your anti-virus is always accurate, you will be able to add a lot more depth to your safety measures. It is true that there are times when it is not possible for the anti-virus software to highlight all the threats online. This is why you need to be scholastic and always assume that a wrong positive can happen to you and your computer.
Having all that in mind, you can make the most out of downloading the software that you need on the Internet without any fear. Feel free to learn more about how to remain safe online and do not underestimate the hazards that are directly linked to the use of suspicious links for downloading.