Internet Safety Education is of paramount importance, since both kids and adults may be proven exceptionally vulnerable against online threats. This is why it is really crucial for everyone to educate themselves on the things that might come up, as they are surfing the web.
In order to be kept safe and secured at all times and live a healthy digital life, here is what everyone should be aware of. This includes adults and most of all children. So, a seminar on Internet Safety would be great, with all the information below gathered and analyzed properly:
- Kids should be well aware of the digital footprint that they leave behind them. Even without their consent, pictures of theirs may be uploaded by friends or family. Information about their relationship, their background and habits is all available online. These details may sound innocent at first. However, the digital footprint is always there and it can affect your pursuit for employment or your desire to enter a well-reputable college and so on. So, reputation management is the key to control what is known about you on the web.
- Privacy policies hide dangers and therefore everyone should read through them carefully. Adjusting privacy settings and disabling embedded content or sharing with third parties, these are the backbone of being kept safe online. With that, Internet users need to get all the information required about online security tools and threats like malware, viruses etc.
- Online relationships can be dangerous, unless the Internet user knows how to spot criminals and snoopers at first sight. Cyberbullying is definitely one of the major threats online and especially for kids and teens. However, it is equally important to read about sexting and know when it is time to stand up and defend the ones that suffer from such problems. If a kid finds himself in the middle of cyberbullying as a viewer, what should he do?
- Similar to the previous issue about defending somebody against cyberbullying and other hazards, young children, teens and adults should develop ethical decision making. In this way, they will know how to react, when they face dilemmas online. For instance, should I download a movie that I have not paid for, regardless of the copyrights? Should I make fun of a friend, uploading an awkward photo of his, without his consent?
- What is the proper time spent online on a daily basis? Where is this thin line crossed and how to deal with this issue? This is an important thing to consider, as well.
- Are children equipped with the knowledge needed, in order to upload a video or create a blog? Do they know how to handle the media and are they aware of information searching online, besides Google? There is much more than that to benefit a child or a young adult.
- Last but not least, do children know where to go, in case something bad happens online? If they feel threatened, who do they turn to and what do they share? Do they recognize the signs on time or do they fall for the same patterns and traps? Do they realize if a website is legit or not, do they know what an online scam is and can they see right through it?
Internet Safety is a crucial thing to keep in mind and this is why all people, let alone kids and teens, should be well informed on the dangers related to the web. Go ahead and check the things that we have included in our list. Then, ask yourself how well educated you and your kids are?