The web is certainly growing exponentially, connecting every single one of us in multiple ways and covering multiple needs. Because of its growth and popularity, there are definitely a lot of threats that emerge, spying on our sensitive data and potentially harming us in the long run.
Nevertheless, we have got the power to eliminate these threats and remain on the safe side, away from online threats that involve spying and surveillance from hackers or from authorities. It is essential that we get to realize that there are some guidelines available for everyone to stay protected on the Internet.
We cannot control what others engage in and what their motives are; the only thing that we can control is how we act and which measures we take beforehand. This is why below you can find some tips as to how to avoid online spying and how to shield our web experience to the fullest.
How to Secure Your Online Presence
There are a few steps that everybody can take, in order to gain thorough protection on the web. Let’s have a look at some of them:
- Encrypt Your Data: Encryption is a great tool that helps you eliminate your digital trace and keeps you anonymous and out of reach. If you wish to learn more about the virtues of encryption, you can watch the universally acclaimed film called “The Imitation Game”, which is based on the real life story of the brilliant genius, Alan Turing. Luckily, enabling encryption on your computer is not as difficult as you might have thought it to be. Both Windows and Mac OS X offer built-in software for encryption and simple steps to complete.
Windows Head to Control Panel Click on System and Security Turn on BitLocker Drive Encryption Mac OS X Head to Security and Privacy Turn on FireVault
- Use Solid Anti-Virus: Do not be idle when it comes to securing your computer. Instead, you should download and install a solid, reliable anti-virus program that is up-to-date and offers great protection features. This will keep you away from malware and viruses of all sorts, which lead to online spying.
- Strong Passwords: In order to minimize the risk of getting your system penetrated, you ought to be vigilant and considerate. As far as passwords are concerned, you should settle for nothing less than a secured, solid password that is next to impossible to guess or crack. Password managers can help you with that.
- HTTPS: If you only visit websites that have enabled https:// instead of http://, this will instantly offer you the opportunity to eliminate the threat of data interception. This means that you will be kept even more deeply protected online.
- Erase Cookies: Since the purpose of cookies is to monitor your computer, it is prudent on your behalf to delete cookies on a regular basis. This will help you erase all the traces that can help sites to identify you and keep track of your habitual patterns.
- Enable Two-Factor Authentication: Two-factor authentication is of primary value to you, in the direction of securing your web surfing at all times. It is far more difficult to crack and penetrate an email account or any other account whatsoever, if you make use of two-factor authentication. So, this is an added means of protection that can minimize the threats.
- Make Use of a VPN or Alternatives: There are a lot of substitutes to the VPN that will help you mask your IP address and thus remain anonymous throughout your web navigation. For instance, there are proxies that you can use or Smart DNS or even the Tor project. Still, the VPN offers data encryption that certainly adds to your overall protection online. So, the best thing that you can do is to take advantage of the special features that a VPN service provider is able to offer you.
Online spying is an imminent threat that has been troubling the vast majority of Internet users for a long time and will continue on troubling them. Still, with the proper precautions and with the right tools, a solution will be found and you will confront no difficulties in being kept secured on the Internet at all times. It is all in your hands!