If you are a resident of China, then you are one of the many people facing the censorship laws that are in place and blocking access to various famous websites, with YouTube being one of them. The Chinese government has placed strict rules as far as Internet usage is concerned, applying unparalleled censorship techniques which may be either blocking of specific content in a website or blocking of entire website or even monitoring the Internet usage that the residents make.
It is very difficult for people living in such a country to manage to bypass the website blocking.
Some methods to help you unblock YouTube in China are: Use of a VPN service, Use of a proxy service and use of the Unlocator. Let’s analyze them:
Use of a VPN service
The Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) simply allow the users to mask their IP address so that it will appear as if they’re connecting from some other location. When you use a VPN service, your traffic will be encrypted, giving you additional identity protection and you will be offered with the option to pick a remote server running at the location of your choice or to be connected automatically to a random offshore server.
The exact required steps are documented below:
- Download and install the VPN client.
- Execute the VPN client app and choose server or location from the window that will appear.
- VPN connection is now active, so simply open your browser and visit YouTube.
Use of a Proxy service
If you want to understand what a proxy server is, think of it as a server interfering between your machine and the website you are trying to reach. Using a proxy server for your Internet browsing, your Internet facing IP address will be replaced with the one of the proxy server you are using. Using a Proxy server to access YouTube is a simple method to use.
Here are the steps:
- Visit the proxy server website of your choice.
- Type the address that you want to unblock (http://www.youtube.com).
- The proxy server will unblock YouTube and redirect your to it.
Use of the Unlocator
The Unlocator does a similar job with VPN and Proxy servers in unblocking geo-restricted websites. How does it work? It’s simple. When you connect to the web via the Unlocator, you are using one of Unlocator’s DNS servers which are not being blocked, giving you access to geo-restricted websites, without even needing to install anything on your device.
The steps to open YouTube using Unlocator are:
- Sign up with Unlocator (we recommend reading thorough review about it on this site first)
- Connect to the Internet using Unlocator
- Visit YouTube.com