Online gaming has been on the rise over the past few years and this is a global phenomenon. Platforms such as Steam and Battle.net are filled with people who enjoy gaming – but not only with them! Unfortunately, there are also online scammers and cyber criminals trying to lure their prey. In fact, Steam has reported that about 77,000 accounts are hacked on a monthly basis and this is a huge percentage!
This is why you need to keep an open eye for cyber criminals, in avoidance of negative consequences. Gaming is meant to be fun and therefore you ought to remain vigilant and enjoy your online activities to the fullest. Let’s find out how cyber criminals act, in order to see what you need to pay attention to:
- Sometimes, free cheats are offered online. You should take everything with a pinch of salt, though, meaning that you need to be weary of the intentions of every gamer or “gamer”. It is not rare as a phenomenon for these free cheats to include malware, which will compromise your system.
- Online gaming frequently involves money laundering via the purchase of cryptocurrencies. Since Bitcoins are the most anonymous online currency for gamers to use, they can be the source of hazards. There is tracking of financial transactions taken place on a regular basis, which may put you in trouble.
- There are many people who will offer to purchase items from you at a great price, including your PayPal account as an intermediary. You offer your items and they claim that they have become victims of fraud online. The story ends, you have lost your items and got no price in return.
- Impersonating a specific personality type can be proven exceptionally beneficial to the hacker. It is way too easy to get close to somebody, if you resemble the traits that appeal to the gamer. Hackers know exactly what to do and befriend people who are most vulnerable online.
- The use of mobile devices has increased rapidly and thus hackers can target mobile users more frequently. Either by infecting the device with malware or by downloading apps and other “cool stuff”, there are great chances of compromising mobile devices.
The hazards related to online gaming do not automatically mean that gamers should stop enjoying what they do. However, it does mean that they need to be truly proactive and vigilant online. Whereas there are online dangers linked to cyber criminals, online gamers can be proven extremely safe – provided that they follow some simple tips!