VPN refers to Virtual Private Network. The best way to describe a VPN is that it is a technique of attaching a remote computer to a secured server. It is ideal in many situations.
All VPNs work in a similar manner. First, they make a safe pathway between a device and a server. It is usually easy to connect to a VPN. Now you know what a VPN is. The next thing to know is how to use it. This is easy, as you will see below.
First, they make a safe pathway between a device and a server. It is usually easy to connect to a VPN. Now you know what a VPN is. The next thing to know is how to use it. This is easy, as you will see below.
Process 1: When you have Windows
- Step One: Find out the IP address attributed to your Windows computer. Just visit Whatsmyipaddresss.com. Once you do, you will see your computer’s IP address. Note it down somewhere.
- Step Two: Click Start and then Control Panel. Then, open your internet network and sharing center. This is in the Network and Internet menu.
- Step Three: Next, choose Set up a new connection. Under this, choose Connect to a workplace. You will see your VPN server there. Enter your IP address in the stated field.
- Step Four: The system will ask for your login details. So, enter your username and password. Click on Connect and this will prompt the VPN to connect.
Process 2: Setting up a VPN in Mac OS
If you use the Apple’s Mac, you should read the following steps. They will teach you how to set up a VPN on Mac.
- Step One: First learn your IP address. As with Windows, find out via whatsmyipaddress.com.
- Step Two: Next, click System Preferences and then Network. It is right on the Internet and Network button. This will show you a plus sign at the bottom left area. Click the plus sign and choose VPN from the menu. Choose the type of VPN you want and then click Create. After this process, the just formed connection will appear in your network list.
- Step Three: Choose your new VPN network from the list. Fill up details in the needed fields. After that, click Apply. This will save your VPN settings.
- Step Four: After creating a network, an icon will appear in the menu. So click on the icon. Choose Connect VPN, next.
Note: Choose a VPN protocol among the open, PPTP, L2TP VPN and IPsec. Hide.me is a good VPN provider that offers all these, if you ask for a recommendation here.